Friday, April 29, 2016

1 month

It's been about a month since our waste free journey began...



and we have reduced our trash (as a 2 human and one dog household) from 60-80 liters of trash per month to a whopping >1 liter of garbage. GET OUT! I'm so proud of us.

Putting our trash in a jar was mostly about awareness but it surely helped us produce less. Just knowing how much garbage we produced made me more conscious about every decision I was making. Too many times have I made decisions without thinking about my impact; not only environmentally but socially. Humans can be extremely selfish and I'm hoping to reduce these instances in my life.

A few of the things we threw away in april have now been switched out to more sustainable options!

*Compostable toothbrushes-https://www.brushwithbamboo.com/
You guys, everyone go and order one right this minute! These are so awesome. The handle is compostable or better yet, you could upcycle them and the bristles can be recycled at a center. I looked into pig hair bristles (biodegradable option) but decided to go with this one. Goodbye, but not really to my old toothbrushes that will be in the landfill forever and never decompose.


*Homemade toothpaste-which is still a work in progress but currently a combination of coconut oil, xylitol (which was damn hard to find!), baking soda and peppermint oil. I actually really like this toothpaste and Sean does too! It definitely doesn't leave a minty fresh feel but I don't mind that part.

*The best deodorant in the entire world!-Also costs no money. Seriously. My ultimate test for this all in one day was as follows: 2 spritz per armpit; Biked to work hurriedly on a hot day (4 miles one way) and went on 5 mile hike. I smelled my clothes and armpits and it was violets and roses. I will share this magical recipe at a later date.

*Soap bar-it smells so good and is SLS free and I bought it locally with no packaging. Win, win, win. I use this for my hair and body.

Yay for zero waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment